Toyoda Gosei Achieves State‐of‐the‐Art High Current Operation With Vertical GaN Power Semiconductor
To Be Exhibited at Techno-Frontier 2018
Kiyosu, Japan, April 13, 2018: Toyoda Gosei Co., Ltd. has achieved state-of-the-art high current operation1 in a vertical GaN power semiconductor developed using gallium nitride (GaN), a main material in blue LEDs.
Power semiconductors are widely used in power converters2 such as power sources and adaptors for electronic devices. However, simultaneous achievement of both high breakdown voltage3 and low loss4 (low conduction loss and switching loss) at high levels has been difficult with conventional silicon due to its material properties.
In its power semiconductors, Toyoda Gosei uses GaN, which has material properties of high breakdown voltage and low loss, and employs a vertical device structure in which electrical current flows vertically from or to a substrate. These changes have enabled a GaN power transistor chip with operating current of over 50A, highest ever reported for vertical GaN transistors2, and high-frequency (several megahertz) operation. Some prospective applications are shown below.
Promising areas of use (examples)
|Power convertersMore compact & lighter weight,
|Power control units (PCUs) for automobiles, etc.|
|High frequency power sources Higher output||Wireless power supply|
Toyoda Gosei will continue development of these power semiconductors for improved reliability, aiming to achieve practical applications in cooperation with semiconductor and electronics manufacturers.
The newly developed vertical GaN power transistors (MOSFET)5 and Schottky barrier diodes6 will be presented on panel displays at the Techno-Frontier 2018 Advanced Electronic & Mechatronic Devices and Components Exhibition, held at Makuhari Messe, Chiba, Japan from April 18 to April 20. The world’s first full vertical-GaN DC-DC converter equipped with these devices will also be demonstrated.
- DateWednesday, April 18 to Friday, April 20, 2018; 10:00–17:00
- Booth6F-11, Hall 6, Makuhari Messe
|Power transistor||Schottky barrier
(example of application circuit)
- 1 According to internal Toyoda Gosei survey (as of April 2018).
- 2 Power conversion refers to conversion between direct and alternating current, direct current transformation, alternating current frequency conversion, etc.
- 3 The property of withstanding the high breakdown voltage during power conversion and not allowing current flow during off operation (non-conductance).
- 4 Heat loss generated by electrical resistance during electric conduction or when switching on/off.
- 5Semiconductor used in power on/off.
MOSFET: Metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect-transistor.
- 6Semiconductor used in converting (rectification) from alternating current to direct current. Toyoda Gosei uses a trench MOS structure, in which trenches are formed at fixed intervals in the chip surface of the diode, achieving low leakage current operation at high temperatures.
About Toyoda Gosei
Established in 1949 and headquartered in Kiyosu, Aichi Prefecture, Japan, Toyoda Gosei is a leading specialty manufacturer of rubber and plastic automotive parts and LEDs. Today, the Toyoda Gosei Group provides a variety of high-quality products internationally, with a network of approximately 100 plants and offices in 17 countries and regions. Through its flexible, integrated global supply system and leading-edge technologies for automotive safety, comfort, and environmental preservation, Toyoda Gosei is a global supplier that aims to deliver the highest levels of quality, innovation, and satisfaction to customers worldwide.